1. Jesus! and shall it ever be
A mortal man ashamed of Thee?
Ashamed of Thee, whom angels praise,
Whose glories shine through endless days?
2. Ashamed of Jesus? Sooner far
Let evening blush to own a star.
He sheds the beams of light divine
O'er this benighted soul of mine.
3. Ashamed of Jesus? Just as soon
Let midnight be ashamed of noon.
'Tis midnight with my soul till He,
Bright Morning Star, bids darkness flee.
4. Ashamed of Jesus, that dear Friend
On whom my hopes of heaven depend?
No; when I blush, be this my shame,
That I no more revere His name.
5. Ashamed of Jesus? Yes, I may
When I'v no guilt to wash away,
No tear to wipe, no joy to crave,
No fears to quell, no soul to save.
6. Till then--nor is the boasting vain--
Till then I boast a Savior slain.
And oh, may this my portion be,
That Christ is not ashamed of me!
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Mark 8:38
Author: Joseph Grigg, 1765
Altereded by Benjamin Francis, 1787
Composer: Henry K. Oliver, 1832
Tune: "Federal Street"