1. Behold a Stranger at the door!
He gently knocks, has knocked before,
Has waited long, is waiting still;
You treat no other friend so ill.
2. But will He prove a friend indeed?
He will; the very Friend you need;
The Friend of sinners--yes 'tis He,
With garments dyed on Calvary.
3. O lovely attitude! He stands
Wih melting heart and laden hands;
O matchless kindness! and He shows
This matchless kindness to His foes.
4. Admit Him lest His anger burn
And He, departing, ne'er return;
Admit Him, or the hour's at hand
When at His door denied you'll stand.
5. Oh, let the heavenly stranger in,
Let in thy heart His reign begin.
Admit Him, open wide the door,
And He will bless thee evermore.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Revelation 3:20
Author: Joseph Grigg, 1765, cento
Based on First Gregorian Chant
Arranged by Lowell Mason, 1824